Energy Recovery Provides Efficient Heating in the Arctic
This is one of four similar units built for a Military Facility in Alaska. It provides supply and return ventilation with energy recovery and make-up heat. The cold climate at this high latitude requires a large amount of heating throughout the year. Efficiency, therefore, is a paramount consideration. The heat exchanger in this unit is able to recover the majority of energy in the exhaust airstream, using it to heat the supply air without consuming any fuel. Even in the coldest months when the Model XLT™ exchanger is in frost control mode, it is able to provide 40% of the required heating. A 100% efficient direct gas fired heater supplies the rest.
- Model: XHR–60–72–BP–HD
- Supply cfm: 18,000
- Exhaust cfm: 18,000
- Built: October 2005
- Weight: 10,000 lbs
- Energy Recovered: 1,018 MBH (Winter), 60 MBH (Summer)
- Design Conditions: –18 °F / 100% RH (Winter), 80 °F / 45% RH (Summer)
- An XLT Type H Epoxy Coated Aluminum Flat Plate Exchanger operates at 63% effectiveness under Winter Design Conditions and at 61% effectiveness in Summer.
- The Double Wall cabinet has an 18 gauge Galvannealed Steel Exterior, 22 gauge Galvanized Interior, and 2” thick Fiberglass Insulation. Frame is Welded Structural Steel. Drain Pan is Galvanized Steel.
- Twin 20" FC DWDI Blowers are belt driven by VFD Controlled, TEFC, Premium Efficiency motors (20 hp supply, 15 hp exhaust). The blowers are mounted on common frames with Restrained Spring Isolators and Flexible Duct Connections.
- A Direct-Fired, Modulating, 1,620 MBH Burner provides make-up heat.
- 2” MERV 8 (30/30) filters on both outdoor and return airstreams protect the unit from debris.
- Face-&-Bypass and Outside and Exhaust Air Shutoff dampers and Actuators are provided.
- Single Point Power Terminal Blocks, Main Disconnect, Protected Branch Circuits, and Frost Control are accessed in an Electrical Panel. A Remote Panel provides 7 Day Timer, Fan Indicators, and Auto On-Off Switches.
The XeteX unit featured on this page was built for an actual application. It is provided here to show our capability.